Professional Indemnity Insurance can help protect your business if a client claims that there is a problem with the work you’ve done, or the advice that you have given. It can offer cover if you need to pay compensation to correct a mistake or settle a claim, and can also cover your legal defence costs.
This can include claims arising from the following:
- Negligence – being careless in your work, such as giving bad advice or making a mistake
- Infringement of intellectual property rights – for example re-using content from a website without permission
- Defamation – making false or damaging claims about a person or organisation
- Breach of confidence – sharing confidential or commercially sensitive information without consent
Here are some examples of how you might make a claim and what your insurance may cover:
- A client made some business changes based on advice you gave them. The changes didn’t bring the benefits they expected and cost them money. So they make a claim against you for compensation. Professional indemnity insurance would cover the claim for compensation plus the costs of defending or settling the claim.
- You included a case study about a former client in a presentation at a conference. Afterwards that former client makes a claim against you for defamation, alleging that you made a false statement about them, and demands you pay compensation. Professional indemnity insurance would cover the compensation payable plus your legal defence costs.
Our areas of expertise include:
- Communications, Media and Technology
- Contractors, Engineers
- Healthcare and Medical
- iIndependent Financial Services
- Single Projects
- Small to Medium-sized Enterprises
Our Professional Liability Brokers have access to a number of specialist markets for a number of Professional Indemnity risks.