From Vale of White Horse District Council

17th March 2020

We’ve been working with other partner organisations and government agencies to help us prepare for any impact the virus may have on our staff and public services for our residents.

If we have any significant changes, we’ll keep you updated on this page and you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for the latest information.

Currently most services are running as normal – our leisure centres remain open and The Beacon is open to show performances and run some scheduled classes.  You can find out more details on all the performances and classes at The Beacon here.

Our waste collections are running as normal, so please put out your bins on your usual collection day.  To check out which waste collection it is this week – head to our collection pages.

If you have the virus or suspect you or someone in your household have it there are guidelines from Public Health England about how to dispose of your waste. They say:

Personal waste (such as used tissues) and disposable cleaning cloths can be stored securely within disposable rubbish bags. These bags should be placed into another bag, tied securely and kept separate from other waste. This should be put aside for at least 72 hours before being put in your usual external household waste bin. Other household waste can be disposed of as normal.

As a precaution we are postponing the following events:

  • our formal council meetings and committees until the end of March – keep up to date on the calendar schedule here.
  • our South and Vale Business Awards will now take place in the autumn – more information here

All our other services, such as our council tax, planning and housing teams are still working and available to provide you with any help you may need.  You can find most advice you require on our website but if you do need to speak to one of our teams, please call our main switchboard – 01235 422422.

If you’re a local business owner and are looking for advice on the coronavirus you can head to this government website for more guidance or contact our South and Vale Business Support team.

If you’re a town or parish council looking for further guidance, please contact the Oxfordshire Association for Local Councils for advice – they will be able provide you with the right information on what you’ll need to do at a more local level.

You can keep up to date and help to stop the spread of the virus by following the guidance on the government’s website.