Introduction to the British Cupping Society
The British Cupping Society (BCS) was formerly established in 2008 by medical and healthcare professionals. With over 60 years of clinical and academic experience, the founding members made an executive decision to endeavour to standardise the practice, clinical guidelines, teaching curriculum and research protocols related to Cupping Therapy.
By doing so it is hoped that patient safety can be guaranteed whilst assisting the gradual integration of Cupping Therapy into mainstream healthcare as a treatment complimentary to conventional practice.
The British Cupping Society (BCS) aims to:
- Serve as a representative membership organization of Cupping profession
- To serve as an official advocate and representative of the Cupping profession in the United Kingdom and to consult with relevant healthcare authorities internationally
- To establish and maintain standards of education, ethics and professional competency and licensing of practitioners of the Cupping profession in the United Kingdom and to consult with relevant healthcare authorities internationally
- To improve public understanding and acceptance of the Cupping profession and practices
- To develop, participate in, conduct and support Cupping research programs consistent with Cupping principles
The society and its members strive to fulfil these aims and objectives in all areas of Cupping.
The BCS Ethos
Our ethos is to help deliver medical cupping therapy that is patient centred.
Our unique E3 approach helps us to focus our efforts in developing cupping therapy as a widely-accepted practice. We believe in:
- Excellence – aspiring to achieve excellence in all our operational areas
- Education – focusing on education of public and professionals
- Evidence – focusing on the practice of evidenced based cupping therapy
Our E3 vision is aimed at putting patient safety, clinical care and an evidence base with respect to cupping at the heart of all our activities.
Summary of BCS Portfolio
- Education programs in cupping Therapy (CT) for medical and health care professionals
- Facilitating and Organizing international conferences in CT
- Facilitating and Supervising Masters and PhD level research
- Consultancy in regulating CT in the UK and internationally
- Regulating BCS cupping practitioners in the UK
- Working with partners in addressing Public Health issues related to CT
- Providing a platform for the development and implementation of evidenced based CT treatment protocols.
- Developing a network for medical cupping therapy worldwide
- Member of the General Regulatory Council for Complimentary Therapies (GRCCT) and official representative of CT in the UK.